Sunday, December 14, 2014

A Simple Christmas Without a Tree


When my children were young, we would go out and cut down a live tree to decorate. As they got older, I would just go to Home Depot and get one that had been cut down. I got very tired of the tree being almost completely dead and dried out a week after I put it up and the branches not being able to hold up the ornaments that I eventually went for a fake one. I loved my fake one! 

This year, I asked Ryan to put up my tree for me. Before he was going to do it, I decorated the rest of my home. I don't use many decorations. I decluttered my decorations years ago so it wouldn't take me hours to decorate and take down. Once all my decorations were up, I asked Ken if it was okay not to put a tree up. It takes a lot of time to put all the ornaments on it and take down. He said he didn't care, so we aren't having a Christmas tree this year. Yay! Christmas trees are a LOT of work.

Our home still is very festive. You can see my fireplace. I know no one will want to pin it or think what a great decorator I am like others. It just has never been my thing. I like it to be pretty but I don't care if its "pin worthy" at all! However, it feels plenty like Christmas without the tree! Life isn't about having everything decorated perfectly.

I've never gotten into the Christmas hullabaloo. It's never been a stressful time for me. I do what I feel comfortable doing and that's it. My children have never gotten a lot of presents. I don't bake a ton. I've never shopped much. I usually send out cards and a letter to those who I don't keep in contact throughout the year. We have everyone here for a big but simple Christmas Eve dinner after church and then on Sunday morning, we all go to my mom's home for brunch and sharing. Afterwards, we all go on a long hike.

I think life is easier when you're not a perfectionist and things are simple. It's so easy to get stressed out and get caught up in the hustle and bustle but Jesus never lived His life that way. We are called to be like Jesus and if Jesus was never stressed out, neither should we. After all, it's ALL about Jesus anyways.

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Matthew 11:28-30