Saturday, May 17, 2014

Laine's Letters And Paying Off Debt, Part 6


Since typing all of these posts out that Laine wrote, I truly see what an amazing woman of God she was and how much she depended upon His strength for wisdom and joy. I love learning from wise woman and she certainly qualifies. 

As I recall, the last letter I got from her, both of her sons were married and both of their wives were pregnant. Her sons were away in the military so they both lived in trailers on her property. (I may have some of the details wrong but this is what I recall.) One daughter-in-law was so sick that she had to go back home with her family. Laine and her husband did adopt a baby girl from China. Anyways, back to counting down the 50 ways they paid off their home without her having to work outside the home. The series begins HERE.

We own a 1984 diesel Mercedes. It isn't used much since both Ken and I are home most of the time but it is nice to have around for out-of-town guests or if we need a second car for something. The insurance is cheap and it just runs and runs and runs with very little maintenance. It has over 300,000 miles in it without ever needing a new engine and it still purrs like a kitten!

25 ~ We try to keep things running with good maintenance. My husband changes the oil in the cars regularly. I keep the vacuum filters clean with regular maintenance. Likewise, the dryer lint vent, and other machines we use. It pays to keep them up, so that you won't have to buy another one due to poor maintenance. My husband always tries to fix things himself, especially our cars. He'll get a book and figure it out, get on the phone and talk to other men, then tackle the task himself. I am usually in the house praying for him.

26 ~ Many times we must wait on the Lord for something and pray. We have waited on the Lord many times during a crisis. He is always faithful. He always shows us the way. "You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee, because he trusts in Thee" (Isaiah 26:3).

27 ~ I am learning that organization saves time and money. Which is why I am organizing this house and have been for many years. I didn't get into this unorganized problem overnight, so it's taking me awhile to get things in order. The better the kitchen runs, the more time and money I can save.

28 ~ "Use it up" or "wear it out" or "make do." This is definitely how we live which is how we save. And if you keep it clean, it's really not that expensive, because you don't have to buy another. My grandmother used to say it doesn't cost much to keep things clean. She was right.

29 ~ I've cut our hair for twenty years. Incredible savings here. I would estimate about a $2400 savings or more here, so that really helped us pay off our house. Plus I saved on gas getting to the hairdressers and time spent there. I learned from a book from the library and from asking hairdressers questions.

30 ~ We've never paid for a babysitter. I know that's hard to believe, but we never have. We've either swapped babysitting, had my folks babysit for special occasions, or we didn't go. We just couldn't afford babysitters and a night out on our tight budget. Our nights out were very modestly priced when we did go, which was rare, as I've mentioned before.

31 ~ We buy our clothes at thrift shops or garage sales or on sale at the stores. We've never spent a lot on clothes.

32 ~ I've been the family photographer for years. I took photography in college so our living room is adorned with shots of our kids as they grew up. In 24 years of marriage, we've only had our family picture taken professionally three times.