Friday, April 18, 2014

Cleaning With Joy


My granddaughter was hungry when she woke up, so I fixed her a smoothie with kefir, frozen berries, bananas, organic juice and a little stevia. Then I fixed her a large piece of my homemade bread, a big glob of grass fed butter {She always asks if she can have a piece of butter while she is waiting! What is it with little children and plain butter??!!}, and an organic egg on top with a runny yolk. She gobbled it up!

Then I made my breakfast of two eggs and potatoes cooked in ghee and then slices of avocado. I sat at the table to eat it. She promptly went to the silverware drawer, got out a fork, and began to eat my breakfast with me. I said, "Emma, you already ate your breakfast." She quickly responded, "I am just trying to help you out, Grandma!" {Children bring so much joy to life.}

Later, I was cleaning the bathroom. She wanted to help so badly. I was using Bar Keepers Friend on the sinks and only had one sponge. She kept asking me to help. Later, as I was thinking about it, I decided next time she cleans a bathroom with me, I want to have a small bottle filled just with water, a small sponge, and some baking soda for her to clean the sink and mirrors with me. I want items that are completely non-toxic.

Whenever I am sweeping my floors, she wants to sweep with me. This is the time to begin training your children, when they are young and eager to learn. Yes, it takes more time but it will be well worth it in a few years when they are older and can help you out.

"Mothers stressed again and again how important it is to do things with your children, household chores as well as other family projects. At such times, mother functions as teacher; she works alongside the children, imparting lessons in how to organize one's work and carry it through completion. The younger the child and the less his/her ability, the greater is his/her enthusiasm. Take advantage of it!"{Mary Ann Cahill}

Also, clean with joy! Sing while doing it and have a smile on your face. Never complain about it. Tell your children while you are cleaning the dishes how happy you are to have dishes to clean. When cleaning the sink, remind them how blessed we are to have running, hot water, soap, etc. Train them at an early age to be thankful for all the good things God has bless us with!

Charge them that are rich in this world, 
that they be not highminded, 
nor trust in uncertain riches, 
but in the living God, 
who giveth us richly all things to enjoy.
I Timothy 6:17