Thursday, January 23, 2014

Staying Connected In Marriage


Life gets busy and complicated.  Husbands work hard to provide for the family.  Wives work hard keeping the home, raising the children, running a job from home, or even leaving the home to work.  Children have schedules that take them away from home.  How are we suppose to stay connected in this very busy society we live in?

Ken and I are empty nesters now so we have more time to connect.  His schedule is incredibly busy, however, but we have created time to stay connected.  Every morning, we cuddle and have devotions.  I read the Bible and then he prays.  Then, we talk about whatever is on our minds.

Later in the afternoon, we take a walk around the neighborhood discussing a variety of things.  I will usually share comments I get on my blog or ideas I have to write about and he will give me advice.  He tells me about his business and keeps me up to date.

Every Saturday morning, we walk along the beach and eat breakfast at our favorite restaurant.  On Sundays, we go to church and hold hands during the service.  We come home and watch football together.

When you have small children, it is harder to have that time to connect.  We always took walks, even when my children were small.  We'd put them in a stroller and away we would go.  Now, when we are babysitting our grandbabies, we take them on walks with us.

Having family dinners and devotions together are great ways to stay connected.  We watch our grandbabies once a week so Ryan and Erin can be alone together for awhile.

What are some ways you and your husband stay connected in the hustle and bustle of life?  It would be great to hear from you who have many children, need to work outside the home, or even have health problems.  Marriage is precious and needs to be cultivated to stay healthy and growing.

Complete my joy by being of the same mind, 
having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind.
Philippians 2:2