Monday, March 4, 2013

Weeping For The Women


I am weeping for women with an empty nest at age 39; their fertility surgically destroyed; their hormones artificially regulated; their physical and emotional health in shambles. {Helen Aardsma}

I read this quote from Helen when I was about 43 years old.  It convicted me so much about letting God control my fertility that I asked Ken if we could stop doing anything to prevent having more babies.  We were just using the rhythm method at that time.  He agreed but I never got pregnant.  I was too sick, I think.  I had a brain tumor shortly afterwards that completely stopped my pituitary from working which controls fertility.

Thankfully, I was 48 years old when my baby left for college.  However, the above quote really struck me.  I felt I had been lied to by our society.  We should control our fertility and prevent babies, it told us.  Up until artificial birth control, most people just had babies whenever God blessed them with them and they didn't think anything about it.

My grandmother had seven children.  There was no birth control back then.  She loved having babies.  They didn't have much money but God always provided for them.  She had her last baby when she was 47 years old.  He grew up to be her biggest, healthiest child.  She lived long enough to help raise his children.

There are so many excuses why we shouldn't have children. Every single excuse is a lack of trusting God except severe health problems for the mother if she were to have more children.  This is only my opinion but not having enough money, too much work, afraid of childbearing, etc. all stem from a lack of trust in God's provision and strength.

I realize this is an issue between each husband and wife but I enjoy giving you opinions contrary to what society tells you so you can carefully decide your options.  This world is on a broad path that leads to destruction.  God's narrow way is a path that leads to life and I love walking on His path.  Having children around into your old age seems to me to be a very good thing!

He maketh the barren woman to keep house, 
and to be a joyful mother of children. Praise ye the LORD.
Psalm 113:9

P.S.  The above picture is Lindsay with her child.  
She is happily expecting her second child soon!  
Visit her blog here ~ Lindsay's Logic.