Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Becoming A Holy Wife


My mother-in-law always told young women preparing for marriage that it was their job to make their husbands happy, not holy.  After pondering that statement for many years, I have come to the conclusion that if you try and make your husband holy, you will become more unholy and if you try and make your husband happy, you will become more holy.

In order to make your husband more holy, you must use control, manipulation, nagging, pouting, cold-shoulder, emotional outbursts, arguing, and stubbornness to try and change him.  I tried that route for many years and it didn't work.

Sure, Ken would try and please me.  He would always ask for forgiveness after a quarrel.  He would try to eat healthier and read his Bible more but our relationship got worse and worse.  A huge wall was being built between us that was getting thicker and thicker.

Ten years ago, I started trying to make him happy instead of holy.  I asked him what I could do to please him.  I started smiling at him and stopped arguing with him.  I tried to figure out what made him happy and started doing those things.

He started being more happy!  He wanted to start doing devotions regularly with me.  He wanted to start eating healthier.  He enjoyed being with me and started bragging about me to his friends.

My eyes were opened to the truth.  God's Word has a way of doing that.  God does a much better job at making my husband holy when I started cooperating with Him.  He told me to please my husband but for some reason I couldn't see it for many years.

It is never to late to change your marriage around.  I have witnessed it countless times in all the years I have been mentoring women.  Here is part one and here is part two of a woman winning back her husband even after being divorced.  Begin to make it your mission in life to make your husband happy and I bet you'll end up being a lot happier!

She does him good, and not harm, 
all the days of her life.
Proverbs 31:12 

P.S.  The picture is Priscilla with her precious family.  
You can visit her blog at Gracefully Refreshed.