Friday, November 4, 2011

Enjoy Your Homemaking


When I had four young children at home, I didn't realize how important my job was just being at home raising children. I thought I needed to be in some type of ministry, so I wore myself out. I so wish someone would have told me ~

The calling of motherhood is the most noble and important work in the world, and the most rewarding. We are linking hands with God. We are creating eternal beings, children who will live forever. Yes, we mothers join hands with God as we bring his children into the world. He has given us the great responsibility of training their trusting little minds.

Your God-given role is that of mother and
homemaker. Enjoy it.

I feel sorry for women who limit their families to only one or two children. If only they could see ahead and know the joy and the satisfaction that a large loving family can bring in later life. I know they blame the cost of living, but my husband always earned a low wage, but we managed.

To enjoy our role as women we need to accept that motherhood and homemaking is our God-given career. Our families really depend on us to fill this role well. We should take a pride in this career, and do it well, and do it femininely.

Fascinating Womanhood discourages mothers from working outside the home when at all possible. Yes, we might buy fewer luxuries than our neighbors, but that’s more than made up for by the joy of tender and loving relationships with our husband and children. And there is the added bonus of much more free time to develop our minds and our interests, and to enjoy our homemaking and spending time with our friends.

The author then encourages women to make some good friends, know what is going on in the world, keep a clean and tidy home with nutritious meals, and stay close to Jesus.  She also gives some great suggestions for raising children.

I know I write about this topic a lot on my blog but I am commanded in Scripture to do so ~

That they may teach the young women to be keepers at home...
Titus 2:4,5

I will therefore that the younger women marry, 
bear children, guide the house...
I Timothy 5:14

One of my friend's daughters went to Pepperdine University, which is very expensive. All this daughter wants in life is to be a wife and mother.  Others would ask her why she is going to college if that is all she wants to do with her life. She would happily respond, "I am going to be a very smart wife and mother!"  I like that.