Monday, September 12, 2011

Root Of The Problem


My sisters and I were at the hospital with my dad today.  He took a turn for the worse last night.  His wound isn't healing properly. At 80 years old, the body just doesn't heal as quickly.  After spending some time with him, the three of us went out to lunch to Ki's...my favorite restaurant.

Alisa remarked to me that I have changed SO much.  My first reaction was to feel a little offended..."I was really THAT bad???"  I just smiled {learning to control myself and not get offended :)} and said, "Yeah."  As I was thinking about it later, I agreed with her.  I have changed A LOT in the past year.

What changed about me?  Selfishness.  I use to be very selfish.  I think the root of all problems in relationships can be traced to selfishness.  She told me I use to always talk about money.  We are very honest with each other.  Now I don't worry about money anymore.  God is my provider.  I can be generous.

I had to stop thinking about myself...what I wanted from others, my expectations of others, how others treated me and start serving and loving others..  With the Spirit's help, we can do anything that He requires of us.

We learn to be better people, more like Jesus, when we listen to what other people say about us, especially those closest to us.  Taking to heart "a wise man takes rebuke" has helped me a lot.  I want to be wise.  I want to be teachable.  I want to be always open to learn.

My sisters love me now.  They tell me all the time.  They hug me tight.  We love each other and love being together.  God's ways are so good.  Being generous and unselfish is such a better way to live.  I am so happy that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves
Philippians 2:3

Inspiration Friday