Saturday, September 10, 2011

Loneliness To Leadership


Loneliness is something that I have experienced...Laying in a chair for years, by myself most of the time, is lonely.  Being in terrible pain is lonely.  Very few people visited me.  I didn't want many visitors.  When you are in pain, you don't want to talk to people. 

I know what loneliness feels like and it isn't fun.  It's hard.  It's mostly a mental battle.  I had to keep training my thoughts...God is in control, He is allowing this to happen to me, He is going to turn it in to something for my good, He is good...

I am reading a book called When God Writes Your Love Story.   I ordered it for a neighbor girl.  She is a senior.  She has watched my children grow up, not really date much, get married, and have babies.  Her mom told me she tells all her friends about my children.  It has made an impact on her.  I wanted to give her a book teaching her how good God's ways are if she waits on Him.

In the book is a quote by Elizabeth Elliot ~

Loneliness is a required course for leadership...The author goes on to say, "If God is preparing you to make an impact on this world for His kingdom, chances are He will take you through a season of solitude.  This is a season when you learn that you can't lean upon anyone but Him for your confidence and when you gain the strength to stand alone even when no one else stands with you."

Wow! ...I thought.  Maybe the good that God is bringing out of all those years of solitude is being a leader...an older woman training younger woman.  Ken said I have always been one who had righteous wisdom but now he said I have the grace that goes with it...pain and solitude taught me that.  God did use all those years for good.  He is so good...

The spirit of the Lord God is upon me...to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness;  that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that He might be glorified
Isaiah 61:1,3