Sunday, July 24, 2011

My Fig Tree


My best friend, Sandy, told me that her favorite tree when she was growing up was the fig tree in her backyard.   She said figs were her favorite fruit.

I had never tasted a fig, but I trusted her opinion and planted a fig tree several years ago. Last year, it produced a lot of figs. I tried them. I didn't like them. Darn!!! Oh well...I just let them sit on the tree all summer into the fall.

One day I noticed they were all shriveled up and a different color. I picked one and set it on the counter. Later that evening, I tasted it. Oh my gosh!!! It was incredible....sweet and yummy!

I got out a flashlight and picked a lot more. I had everyone taste them and they all loved them! I have told this story because I read on another blog that old people are like figs....They get wrinkled and sweeter with age!  I sure know I am getting wrinkled and I hope sweeter with age!

Thanks, Sandy, for the recommendation! I am now waiting for the fall when my figs will be ready to eat!

For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved , and in them that perish.  II Corinthians 2:15

P.S.  I just went back to that blog and here is the quote ~  "We’re like prunes, as time goes by, we’re gettin’ wrinkled, but a whole lot sweeter!”  Ooppss!  Oh well...figs work also!

Also, if you want a good chuckle, go to my sister's blog and read what she says about getting older!

Fabulous Friday