Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Liquid Laundry Soap


This is an amazing laundry soap.  I have been using it for many years and it only costs several pennies per load.  You need washing soda for it.  It is difficult to find sometimes.  Check your local grocery store.  My grocery store ordered some for me or you can order it on line.  I think more grocery stores are carrying it now.

Ingredients ~

1 cup of grated soap  {You can use Ivory, Dr. Bonners, or any kind you like.}

1/2 cup washing soda *

1/2 cup borax powder

A large bucket to store it in.

*{I just read on another blog that you can make washing soda by spreading baking soda on a cookie sheet and baking it at 350 degrees for a half hour. I will try it next time I run out of washing soda.}

Instructions ~

Grate the soap and put it in a pan.

Add 6 cups of water and heat until soap melts.

Add the washing soda and the borax and stir until it is dissolved.

Remove from heat.

Pour 8 quarts of water in a bucket.

Pour the hot soap mixture into the bucket.

Stir well and let cool off, stirring every once in awhile.

It will become gel like when it is completely cool.

Pour into old milk jugs or any bottles with a lid.

Shake before each use and use 1/2 cup per load.

There you have it!  Cheap and easy!

Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. 
Psalm 51:7