Monday, June 20, 2011

Love Having Old Things


My cats just broke a very pretty vase that held a plant on my coffee table; shattered it. I like old things. I don't really care if they break. One less thing to take care of. I am not sentimental. Everything is going to burn someday, so I try to hold loosely to things on this earth.

When we bought our first brand new car, a Toyota Sienna, Ken and I were driving to Palm Springs.  The car was only a few days old. A man was working on a sign over the freeway and right as we were driving under it, a big bolt came down and dented our hood. I was so happy! Now I didn't have to worry about it anymore. It was broken in. New shiny things make me nervous. I don't want to ruin them, so I have to be so careful around them. I don't like that.

We got a new kitten several months ago. THE BEST CAT EVER!!! We all love him. He is so soft and sweet. He loves to cuddle and purr. He follows me around and even fetches things.  I have had cats all my life and we always declaw them, because I don't want them to ruin my furniture. All my furniture is old now, so I don't worry about it anymore. I love that feeling! 

Sure, I do enjoy new things. I love a clean, uncluttered home with fresh flowers.  I enjoy a pretty home, but old things make life easier.  You don't care if other children or animals come to your home and ruin things.  It's just stuff anyways and it's all going to burn.

Jim Bob Duggar said after something was broken, "When you're at our place, we're really surprised when stuff doesn't get broken." Michelle Duggar responded, "You can have kids or you can have things but you can't have both and I would much rather have kids than stuff any day."

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, 
where moth and rust destroy, 
and where thieves break in and steal.  
But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, 
where moth and rust do not destroy, 
and where thieves do not break in and steal.  
Matthew 6:19,20
photo source