Monday, April 18, 2011

The Paradox of Obedience to God

God wants me to be generous. I want my stuff! I don't want to give it away. I might need it. I might not have enough for me if I give too much away. 

Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously
II Corinthians 9:6

God wants us to submit to our husbands. That sounds awful....Me do what he wants? He will then take advantage of me. He will make me do things I don't want to do. Besides he's no better than I am!  There must be another definition for submit, like, maybe "adapt". 

Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.
Ephesians 5:22

God wants me to serve others. I want others to serve me and make me happy. Let them do it for themselves. I am too tired to serve others.  

For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love be servants of one another.  Galatians 5:13

God wants us to be sober and not get drunk.  He wants us to be moderate in everything...including eating.  He wants the marriage bed to remain pure.  He wants us to keep our eyes on the lovely, the pure, and the good.  He wants us to love others and treat them how we want to be treated.

Growing up, I thought living for Jesus sounded pretty boring.  Lots of people think that, but know what? The more generous I have become, the more I have learned to submit to my husband, and the more I have learned to serve others, the MUCH happier I have become. Imagine that! My Creator knows better than me.