Tuesday, April 26, 2011

God Hates Divorce

Why do you think that is?  I think it must be the destruction that it leaves in its path...hurt children, hurt spouses, hurt family members, hurt society...When I was first married I thought that if Ken cheated on me, I would definitely divorce him because the Bible says I can. 

As I have grown older and wiser, I no longer think I would divorce him if he cheated on me.  Just because the Bible says I can (and the only reason the Bible says you can is because of the hardness of your heart), doesn't mean it is God's way.  He hates divorce because it is so bad for everyone involved.  To see a marriage restored after something like infidelity is a beautiful thing.  God can make all things new! 

I also believe that it usually takes two to ruin a marriage.  When a man cheats, it's easy to point to him and say it's all his fault.  What about the wife?  From my experience mentoring many women, the wife has a lot of fault in the destruction of the marriage also....critical spirit, withholding sex, gossiping about him to others, disrespecting him in front of others, etc.  It seems the only reason to divorce should be if there is physical abuse towards the children or wife. 

Now, I am not judging any of you who have gotten divorced.  Most of you didn't have an example of what a good marriage looked like, an older woman training you to be the wife you should be, or you truly married a bad man but we can start working on turning this monster of divorce around. 

If you are an older women, start teaching the younger woman how to love their husbands...be joyful, stop arguing, learn what pleases them, etc.  Let's get to work!

For I hate divorce, says the Lord, the God of Israel, and covering one's garment with violence, says the Lord of hosts. So take heed to yourselves and do not be faithless
Malachi 2:16