Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Is Your Body An Instrument Or An Ornament?

I read a quote recently by a woman that stated that she would rather use her body as an "instrument rather than an ornament".  Think how much more comfortable we, as women, would be in our bodies if we realized they were an instrument for God's purposes rather than an ornament like society says they are suppose to be...perfect hair and skin, perfect in-shape bodies, beautiful clothes and jewelry, etc. 

Some women decide they don't want to have children because it ruins their body and it requires a huge sacrifice of giving of themselves and their time.  {I hate to break it to them, but age ruins your body and we all eventually age!}  But if you look at it as a privilege to give life to another human being...as a living sacrifice, it's okay! 

I loved having children.  They are God's greatest blessing to Ken and me.  Yeah...I was real sick when I was pregnant with them and had long, hard labors and raising them was exhausting but every nauseous moment and every birth pain and every sleepless night was completely worth it.  God's gifts are definitely the best!  Raising them and watching them grow into adults has been the greatest privilege the Lord has blessed us with.

If we spend our lives for others, serving and loving them, who cares about stretch marks, wrinkles, age spots, gray hair, etc.  It means it was a body put to good use, God's use, and that is what I want.  To be used by Him, however He wants to use me.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Romans 12:1